Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Doggies at Play: Body Language

Winnie is recovering so well! It is almost like she never had surgery at all- her hair is growing back over her frankenstein scar and she is romping and rolling with Bruno all over the house. I don't know how it is possible for her to feel so little irritation or pain, but I chalk it up to the amazing work of Dr. Petraro at Twin Rivers and also to Winnie's fierce pain-tolerance.

She and Bruno can play forever- they get so tuckered out chasing each other around the house and gnawing at each others faces and legs. (Do your dogs do this too, or do they just sweetly cuddle together?) We figure they are pretty well suited for each other but every once in a while someone carries it a little too far and the other comes hiding behind my legs.

Bruno taking his turn making the first move...

My favorite part of watching them play is the elaborate little dances they do- and the funny little water breaks they take. All of a sudden, play will stop- they will go take a drink- catch their breath, and then one will do a play bow and it starts all over again!

Did you know that 20 minutes of dog play is about as much excersize as an hour long walk!? So glad to know our doggies are getting the stimulation they need even when Chip and I are busy. If you are interested in learning more about dog body language to see how fairly your dogs are playing, check out this video:

1 comment:

  1. That is a great video and those dogs are sophisticated communicators! I'm so happy to see a fellow pit bull fosterer and blogger talking about body language and play styles!

    My foster pitties play so rough, but I just enjoy it and let them enjoy it as long as they both look like they're matched in terms of enthusiasm. It seems to me that pitties have an intensely physical play style that we need to appreciate. I think its the same thing that makes them so physically affectionate, so I have learned to love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...