Thursday, October 28, 2010

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome to my blog to help save American Pitt Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and mixes from Euthanasia in the New York Metropolitan area.


Estimates are that 59% of dogs euthanized in the United States each year are Pitbulls or pit mixes. That comes to about 100,000 dogs killed every year.

Bias about this breeds agressiveness and BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) have kept these loyal and loving dogs from finding homes.

A study by the Center for Interaction of Animals and Society in 2008 found that certain breeds did score highly for agressiveness towards other animals and humans, speciaically Chihuahuas and Daschunds, and that Pit Bulls were only found to be slightly more agreesive than other breeds towards other dogs.

Any breed can be dog-agressive. Agressiveness towards other dogs should not preclude adoption, and doesn't. Only human-agressive dogs are euthanized, and as long as owners are responsible with their animals, dogs that show bad behaviors around other dogs can and should find loving one-pet homes.

There are hundreds of Pitt-specific resue groups, awareness groups, and even tv-shows to prove that this breed has won its way into the hearts of many humans and animals alike. Pit -mix owners know that the bias is unfounded and that the gentleness and loyalty of this enthusiastic breed is often used against it to encourage it to fight.

The pain and punishment this breed endures through the over-breeding, dog fighting, and euthanization is through no fault of its own. American society should reflect love and care for all people and animals that come into this world, especially if their plight is our own fault.

Please join me in my adventue to learn more about this breed and what can be done to save the lives of pitt-mixes in New York City shelters. Even if you are wary about this breed, it is an adventure worth taking. Who knows? Like me, you might find yourself waking up to kisses and tail wags from an adoring creature that cuddles up to you each night.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings passionate pit owners! I need your positive feedback. My story begins last weekend when my 3 dogs were wildly barking in front of the house. I am a pet owner of many decades and I knew they were barking at "something" probably a snake. My dogs and I live on 4 1/2 acres in rural north east Los Angeles county. My gate was closed so I knew it wasn't a human. One of my dogs, a great dane has a behavior of picking up snakes and tossing them into the air. ( BTW snakes Hate this!!)
    It was a pitbull they were barking at and harrassing; a pretty blue smallish one. It was cowering and shaking and had the saddest smile I've ever seen on a dog. I could see ribs, but shoulders and head were massive. I went and got a bowl of dog dog and tried to give it to this pitbull and it ran off behind the ranch house into the desert wilderness canyon there. I left the bowl of food at the trail head.
    The next morning the silver pit bull terrier was curled up tight in a ball on the great dane's bed in the garage. There it has remained since Monday morning. Each day the dog relaxes its curled position on the bed. I am feeding it twice daily at same time I feed the the dogs. I have provided nearby water. I saw it come around the side of the house yesterday leaving its bed Im thinking to go pottie.
    How smart is a dog that would come to me like this? There are no obvious signs of a fight like would be in it's body if this dog had a confrontation with the coyotes that frequent my back canyon in droves of up to 100 animals. In 31 years of living at my ranch I have never seen a dog escape coyotes.
    Did it leave an abusive home? This pretty silver dog is definitely traumatized. Such a sad terrified face.
    I touched it for the first time yesterday. Fed treats from my hand last night. Petted it again this morning before I left.
    I'm already in love with an animal that has clearly chosen me as a refuge. Now what do I do?
    Cathy Colby

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...