Thursday, December 23, 2010

Behind Bars for Christmas

These sweet animals will be stuck behind bars for Christmas. They don't know that they are missing a warm happy holiday outside of their cells, but we do know that they are probably scared, cold and wishing for a pat, a treat or a hug from the people that pass by their cages.

Thanks to Don't be a Pit-Bully for this poem,

T'was the night before Christmas And the shelter is dark,
The whole place is silent, Not even a bark.
The dogs are all locked in their pens for the night, the staff has gone home and turned out the light.

As I lay my head down on the cold concrete floor, I fondly recall my home from before.
The family I loved, who loved me right back, we'd share everything --from secret to snack.
Things couldn't be better this time last year, but that has all changed and now I am here.

I won't see the tree, the lights, or the snow, I'm scared and alone, my spirits are low.
The others like me weren't put up for adoption, home for us isn't an option.
We've been locked up in cells as if we were crooks, we don't deserve homes because of our looks.
Diesel, or Bingo, or the young one named Percy, deserve to be loved but shown no mercy.

While families celebrate holiday cheer, I know in my heart that my end is near.
The vet will arrive, the lights will go on, by the time you awake, we all will be gone.
A stranger will come and take me away, I'll never wake to see another day.
As I close my eyes I'll shed you a tear, The fondest of memories I'll always keep near.

The only thing I've ever asked of Santa Claus, is to stop all these unfair and ridiculous laws.
You said without me, your life was not full, so why does it matter that I'm a "pit bull"?

In my dream Santa shouts when he's finished his deed,"MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL...REGARDLESS OF BREED"

Please consider rescuing one of these dogs from their certain lonliness on Christmas. Give them a warm place to call home and a family to snuggle with. See adoptable dogs at NYC ACC here.

 Precious - 5 years
Spud - 7 months

Ace - 5 years

Harry - 3 years

 Brandon - 2 years


Albee - 4 months


And in honor of my boyfriend's childhood deceased best friend, Golden Retriever Harry,
Harry - 3 years

Just because it is the holidays, doesn't mean the shelter stops killing. Click on Urgent's Facebook page to see the dogs in dire need TODAY.

Also, for the dogs that were put to sleep by the shelter just days before Christmas; they didn't find homes and never will, but I hope they inspire people to adopt in the future. Here they are below, I'm sorry no one came for them :(


RIP Rusty and Henry (2 mild boys who wanted to be home for Christmas but were put down for having treatable coughs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...